By ruling of December 31rst 1778, the Count of Provence (future Louis XVIII), decides: “The sign of our said orders will be from now on a golden enameled cross with the motto which we adopt, Atavis et Armis, inscribed in golden letters surrounding the effigy of Saint-Lazarus, and hung around the neck by a green ribbon, former colour of this Order.
The (badge) will be, for 1rst class knights, an embroidered cross on the left side of the outfit in green golden paillons, surrounded by golden sequins surmounted by a silver cross, with the golden figure of St. Lazarus on the upper branch and the Blessed Virgin on the lower one, and in the middle this legend in golden letters, Atavis et Armis.
And for 2nd class knights, the green cross, as they wear it at present time, in the middle will be the same silver cross with same figures and same motto.”
With Forefathers and Weapons
This motto is used by some families in Rouergue:
Cassan de Veyrières, de Cassagnes de Beaufort, de Laizer de Siougeat
In 1156, for the first time the documents are mentioning the green cross concerning the hospitallers’ brothers. This green cross with short and square branches was a simple piece of material stitched on the left side of a white mantel.
In 1314, the rule of the Order commands the knights to wear a square green cross on the front of their outfit and also on the left side of their mantel and pieces of harness of war.